Subject: Re: BetacamSP demanding
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 1996 12:56:05 -0800

In a message dated 96-02-17 08:18:42 EST, you write:

>It's true that I can take my computer to their facilities and output the
>animation to their equipment, but I don't have Betacam output anyway...
>
>I have a VLab Motion card. I can reach an average of 70-75% quality with my
>WarpEngine/Seagate-Barracuda setup. Does anyone know what can I do to have
>BetacamSP output with this piece of crap?! Is there any kind of YUV
component
>plug (or whatever it's called) as a add-on?! How did you solved this kind of
>output demanding problems?!

I would try to find an animator or video company in your area with a
PAR/PVR/Flyer and BetaCam SP setup, and transfer the files via compatible
removable media like Syquest (or those 1 GB Jaz drives, if they ever come
out!).  You may even be able to do some work in exchange for this service...
that's exactly what I did before I put together my current configuration. Of
course, its much easier to transport a few cartridges than your whole
computer set-up, and I believe your clients will perceive you in a more
professional light if you hand them a finished tape instead of lugging your
computer into their facility and wiring into their equipment.  The only
possible downside is that your "middle man" in this scenario could attempt to
go after your client, but generally we animators are just too nice to do
something like that, right? Good luck!

Leigh Herman
Flying Colors